97 grand am se ignition switch removal

I have a 97 grand am. Everytime I go to start it the key will not turn. I have to work with it and wiggle it around until finally it catches and the ignition switch turns. It seems to be getting worse everytime i go to start the car. I am suspecting it needs a new ignition switch. I was wondering how do I remove the old switch and put a new one in?? Anyone with any kind of info would help me a great deal! Thanks!

Reply to
Lori Lampkin

There was a recall on this with the 97 grand am's Do a google search or go to the NATSA here at

or more specifically at

Just go thru the search questions on the right hand side and enter all the info in for your make and model. This is what i got for the 1997 Grand Am. I already had the repair done under this recall. My problem is that the key cliuldnt be removed once in a while. There was a fire issue with some of these switches and so they recalled them. below is what the recall states

Recalls Summary

Make: PONTIAC Model: GRAND AM Year: 1997

Recall Number: 02V070000

Consequence: IF THE SWITCH IS DAMAGED, A FIRE COULD OCCUR IN THE STEERING COLUMN, EVEN WITH THE ENGINE OFF AND THE KEY REMOVED.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL INSTALL A RELAY KIT IN THESE VEHICLES TO PREVENT HIGH CURRENT FROM FLOWING THROUGH THE IGNITION SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MARCH 27,

2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-222-1020, PONTIAC AT 1-800-762-2737, BUICK AT 1-800-521-7300, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-442-6537.

Notes: CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Reply to
GMAN