97 Grand Am Won't Hold Water....Leaking at firewall from some kind of drain spout???

I have a 97 GA with a 3.1. I was going down the road then started smelling coolant coming from my A/C vent then started hearing a girgling of water just behind the dash. When I got home I noticed I was leaking a trail of water. I was able to crawl under and the water is basically puring out of what looks like a downward rubber hose spout a at the lower part of the firewall. It looks like some kind of a drain spout. But water is now coming out as freely and soon as I pour water in the radiator. Any ide what this spout is and what the problem is? Thanks

Reply to
Lucipher

I thought it might be the heater core, any idea how difficult to replace or what a dealer would charge?

Reply to
Lucipher

Reply to
Lucipher

Don't know what a dealer charges now-a-days. I would imagine at least 4 hours labor. It is not easy. Make sure they put in a copper one, not the cheap Aluminum one. I always put them in myself in my car. The last one cost ~$30 USD and was copper. It is two years old now. The aluminum ones only last 1 year in my car.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?py=A4ats?=" =?x-user-defined?Q?=40te=A4xa

It's the middle of summer, so the first thing you should do is connect your heater hoses in a short circuit so you can drive it. Then you have a month or two to figure out how to pay for it. I don't have a Grand Am, but on most cars it's pure torture to replace.

Reply to
Joe

My 6000 is 17 yo and I've never had to replace a core. MOTORS? YEAH

| > I thought it might be the heater core, any idea how difficult to replace or | > what a dealer would charge? | >

| > > That's the a/c drain spout. Your heater core is blown. | > > Get a new one (heater core). | | Don't know what a dealer charges now-a-days. | I would imagine at least 4 hours labor. It is not easy. | Make sure they put in a copper one, not the cheap Aluminum one. | I always put them in myself in my car. The last one cost | ~$30 USD and was copper. It is two years old now. The aluminum ones | only last 1 year in my car.

Reply to
Steven Dinius