97 Grand Prix GTP ABS/Tire pressure sensor problems

H all, I was hoping that someone would be able to help me out. I have a 97 GTP w/ 128k miles on it, and I have been having problems with my ABS and tire pressure sensors. About a week ago, I had to swerve to avoid a dog, and hit the shoulder pretty hard sideways, but there was no apparent damage at the time. My alignment wasn't messed up, and everything seemed ok with no vibrations or anything. However, a couple of days ago, my ABS light and tire pressure light started switching on together, within about a mile of starting the car. It does this each and every time, and it doesn't matter if I reset my tire pressure sensor under my dash. When the lights are on, my steering feels a bit heavy, but that might just be my perception. I am planning on getting new wheels and tires sometime in the next few weeks, but I would like to know what is wrong and how to fix this problem. If anyone has had this problem before, please let me know what it was, and what you had to do to fix it. I am a tad worried, since ABS fixes never come cheap, but I am thinking about going into the dealership and having them check it out. Thanks for any help! Andy

Reply to
The Carrolls

I am not the expert on this as my experience is limited to my own vehicle. I would replace the tire 1st to see if the problem is solved. I was told that ABS and tire pressure sensor are related. Basically, your vehicle uses ABS sensor to monitor tire pressure. Hitting a curb should not damage ABS sensor unless you really mess up the hub and bearing.

You will need to have the vehicle scanned. If the ABS light came on at some point, there will be history codes stored. This will give you a clue as to what is wrong.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
Philip Carroll

I had the same problem when my daughter driving on her permit for the first time, sideswiped a curb and blew out the right front tire. Several days after getting the tire replaced new, ABS/TRAC off/Check Tire Pressure all would come on periodically after a short period driving (I would also sense steering wheel drag -- not your imagination). I could tell when it was going to happen as the 'Low Trac' light would blink for a prolonged two seconds when the car was started. Had it checked out at the dealer, and they said driver's side hub needed replacing for $600. Passed on that (driver's side didn't make sense as passenger side was the curb contact side). Went to the local VIP auto discount, asked to have the passenger hub replaced ($300). It was, problem gone, end of story...

Reply to
Jim