97 GTP Revving problem

My 97 GTP did an odd thing while my son was driving it. After leaving a red light, it continued to accelerate after he took his foot off the gas. He called panicking because he could not stop. I had him put it in neutral, use the brakes and kill the engine. When I got to him, I tried to start the car. It started with no problem, but immediately surged to about 4k RPM and then revved from 4-4.5k RPM as if someone was tapping the gas pedal the engine for a drag race (imagine vroom, vroom, vroom, vroom).

I opened the hood and checked the throttle. It appears closed, neither the throttle nor the cruise control cable move along with the engine revving. As a matter of fact, when using the gas pedal, there is NO change to the engine doing its revving thing.

Is this an engine management problem?

Any thoughts on where to start? What to do? How to fix it?

Thanks as always, Mark

Reply to
Mark Garcia

I opened the hood and checked the throttle. It appears closed, neither the throttle nor the cruise control cable move along with the engine revving. As a matter of fact, when using the gas pedal, there is NO change to the engine doing its revving thing.

Is this an engine management problem?

Any thoughts on where to start? What to do? How to fix it?

Thanks as always, Mark

Reply to
Shep

I opened the hood and checked the throttle. It appears closed, neither the throttle nor the cruise control cable move along with the engine revving. As a matter of fact, when using the gas pedal, there is NO change to the engine doing its revving thing.

Is this an engine management problem?

Any thoughts on where to start? What to do? How to fix it?

Thanks as always, Mark

Reply to
Silver Surfer