97 Pontiac Sunfire.. Oil Light

My car just turned of 100,000 miles... My oil light now comes on at idle, after it is warm and more often than not but not all the time... Sometimes it blinks, sometimes it comes on steady... but as soon as you press on the gas it goes off... Any help would be appreciated

John

Reply to
jd

well, assuming it has had an oil change in the last 6000 miles, doesnt have any major leaks, and according to the dip stick its full, I'd say its the sensor.

Reply to
Paradox

"jd" wrote

You can do one of two things. Throw a new oil pressure sending unit in it and see if that cures the problem. Or you could install a known accurate mechanical gauge in it's place and see what the oil pressure actually is at hot idle. This will tell you whether the problem is mechanical, or simply a bad sending unit.

Interesting, the 2.2 liter engine doesn't have a hot idle spec, or at least, I can't find it in the literature that I have available. They simply say that it should be 56 psi minimum at 3000 rpm. I would say that you should see at least 6 or more psi at hot idle. That's fairly standard with the location of the sending unit on this engine.

The 2.4 liter is 10 psi minimum at 900 rpm, 30 psi at 3000 rpm.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai