97 Pontiac Sunfire Special Edition Converible Engine Problems

ok, so I have a 97 pontiac sunfire special editon convertible. It has the

2.4L twin cam engine. Well my check engine light is on as well as the ETS off light. It occasionally hesitates really bad. When you accelerate it takes a second to go and when it does it jumps then when it shifts it shifts extremely hard, it almost feels like someone is rear ending me. It is a automatic by the way. I just replaced the EGR gasket because that is what my computer was reading during a scan but that was not it. In the maintenance manual it says that the ETS either shifts the vehicle into a higher gear or cuts out some of the cylinders when the tires are spinning, this could mean that my main computer (the ECM) is fried. Does anyone else know of any problems like this and what it was because I dont feel like spending over $600 on a new ECM if thats not it. Thanx
Reply to
amber_mcduffe

Your computer told you to replace the EGR gasket??? Not the whole valve?

Reply to
buickman