97 sunfire 2.2, clutch = funny noise, crankshaft bearings??

so my 97 2.2l sunfire makes like a whining noise when the clutch is in. this only happens when in neutral or first, once you get a little speed it doesn?t happen (ie shifting into 3rd, etc.). i first noticed it probably 2 months ago, the first time i had my window down when the snow started to melt. i hadn?t got it checked out yet when one day i remember it didn?t make the noise. it just went away, so i didn?t think any more about it.

then the noise came back again. so i took it to the dealership. they tell me that when the clutch is engaged, the crankshaft is moving. this is wearing the crankshaft bearings, which they say is basically a $2200 (cdn) job.

my question is, does this make sense? if this is the case then i don?t understand why the noise happened only some of the time. also, this is a pretty major problem, so shouldn?t driving it like this for 2-3 months have ultimately caused more damage by now?

i just don?t wanna commit to $2k on a $5k car unless i?m sure that?s the problem. i?d appreciate any help you can give me. thx.

Reply to
derekh

"derekh" wrote: > so my 97 2.2l sunfire makes like a whining noise when the > clutch is in. this only happens when in neutral or first, once > you get a little speed it doesn't happen (ie shifting into > 3rd, etc.). i first noticed it probably 2 months ago, the > first time i had my window down when the snow started to melt. > i hadn't got it checked out yet when one day i remember it > didn't make the noise. it just went away, so i didn't think > any more about it. > > then the noise came back again. so i took it to the > dealership. they tell me that when the clutch is engaged, the > crankshaft is moving. this is wearing the crankshaft bearings, > which they say is basically a $2200 (cdn) job. > > my question is, does this make sense? if this is the case then > i don't understand why the noise happened only some of the > time. also, this is a pretty major problem, so shouldn't > driving it like this for 2-3 months have ultimately caused > more damage by now? > > i just don't wanna commit to $2k on a $5k car unless i'm sure > that's the problem. i'd appreciate any help you can give me. > thx.

i should also mention that in the 2 or 3 months of this, the car has been completely driving and shifting fine. if i hadn?t had my window down and radio off, i never would have noticed.

Reply to
derekh

More proof that your throw out bearing is going out.

The crankshaft is moving anytime the engine is running. The clutch engages the crank to the transmission.

How many miles does this car have on it?

Sounds like a bad throw-out bearing in the clutch to me.

That's about a $400 US dollar job, parts and labor, since you should change the clutch plate while you are in there.

The dealer is trying to rip you off IMO.

Reply to
Hardpan