97 Sunfire GT rad fan won't turn on

I have a sunfire gt 2.4l and for some reason the fan won't turn on. the only way i can get the fan to turn on is by turning on the air conditioning. then it runs. I have heard other people with the same problem, and was wondering what the solution might be? bad coolant temp sensor maybe? TIA

Reply to
locnar

locnar, it's not clear why you think you have a problem. You don't actually say that the engine is overheating. The fan is designed to come on only when needed, so if the engine isn't overheating when the a/c isn't on, the fan shouldn't come on. Typically, engines run hotter when the a/c is on, hence the reason the fan kicks in. If the engine isn't overheating when the a/c is off, you don't have a problem at all.

Reply to
StingRay

Just a slight correction. The cooling fans come on when the A/C is on, not because the engine runs hotter, but because the A/C system has to have airflow through the condensor in order for the A/C to work properly. So if you are sitting in traffic with the A/C on, the fans must be on. Which is why it's often better in stop and go traffic to have the A/C on....you end up regulating the engine temperature at the thermostat temp. If you leave the A/C off (in the mistaken belief that the engine will run cooler) the engine will cycle between the t/stat temp and the fan on temp which is quite a bit higher.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Thanks for the correction Ian. You keep teaching - I'll keep learning! ;-)

Reply to
StingRay