98 Grand AM REV problem

I have a 98 Grand Am with about 150,000 km on it. I have had the car for about a year now and am starting to have some problems with it. The major problem being the engine revs and the throttle sticks.

Here is what happened. I was driving on the 401 (major Ontario Highway) at about 120km/hr. The cars in front of me started to slow down. I pressed on my brakes to slow down, but my engine sped up. It was sitting at about 4000 RPM. I had to swerve off the road in order to avoid an accident. I put the car in neutral to disengage the wheels and then turned the car off. I parked it and then tried to start the car again. The engine basically maxed out. I turned it off in fear that I would kill the engine. I could not get the car working properly. I had to tow it home ($350). I took the car to a mechanic who could not find anything wrong with it. He disengaged the cruse control and cleaned some parts in the car. He took it out on the highway and gave it back to me to test it out.

Well today when I was on the highway, the car stuck at around 2500 RPM. I was able to get off the highway safely and put the car in neutral again to see what happened. The car stayed at 2500 RPM. I turned the car off and then turned it back on. It seemed to reset the problem.

This has now happened to me 3 times now. I talked to the Pontiac dealer today and it is going to cost me over $120 just for them to look at it and I already have paid one mechanic to tinker around with it.

I need to know if anybody has any suggestions. This is my first car and I am getting scared to drive it because I don't feel safe, however I need my car because I live 160km away from my work.

I need help/suggestions PLEASE!!!

Thank you, Lyndsay

Reply to
IntheOrchard

Sounds like the throttle or cable is stuck. Check the cable see if anything is rubbing or hanging on the throttle.

Reply to
Micah

Does the pedal move freely?

Does the hood insulator have any marks on it, above the throttle area? If you can't find the throttle, have someone step on the pedal while you look under the hood.

Reply to
johnoz19

After seeing 2 mechanics, we have decided that the gas pedal was getting stuck on the car mat. Boy do I feel stupid. Thanks for all your help!!!

Reply to
IntheOrchard