98 Grand Am Window Regulator broke 5X’s

I need someones help desperatly. I bought my 98 Grand Am (2 door) in

2001, and since then I have had the power window regulators break 5 times. 3 times on the drivers side and 2 times on the passenger. It costs my roughly $500 each time. of course GM won?t give me the time of day. The drivers side window was fixed last time around March of 2004 and just broke a couple days ago AGAIN. The passenger side has been broken since March of 2004, but I couldn?t afford to get both fixed so i just opted to get the one fixed...and of course I?m in the same position I was 2 years ago...with two broken windows. Basically, what happens is the windows go off track, but the power will still work, they still will go up and down just not correctly. Please!!! I really need someone?s help...has anyone else gone through this? How difficult is it for me to fix myself.
Reply to
FAE

from a remote login to the local libraries car repair database.

Reply to
FBR

We owned a 99 GA GT and had the drivers window repaired under warranty twice. It failed again after the warranty had expired and I took on the task myself (twice) figuring I couldn't do any worse that the GM technicians.

This is from memory. The window fails when the adhesive used to bond the bottom of the window to a clam that attaches to the regulator. You can take apart the door relatively easily and access the failed part without too much effort or trouble. It's much easier if you do remove the door skin.

My first repair, I used the newly recommended adhesive from Pontiac. It too failed mid winter. What a PIA having the window drop while driving 55 mph!

The second time I used Great Stuff foam insulation. My experience using this material was as it was designed ,as an insulation. But, I did find it very tenacious and yet flexible. You can get a can at Home Depot.

At any rate, it worked. We have since sold the car so I don't know if it's still holding.

The whole job takes about an hour. Good luck.

Reply to
Keyser Soze