'98 Grand Prix front plate mounting?

so i've got a 98 GTP which until i was recently pulled over by the CHP and given a fix-it ticket had the filler and no front plate. in california you've got to have it, so now i'm looking at putting it on there. i've removed the filler and really only can sense what feels like cork material behind the bumper. i've tried, and a plate will NOT stay on when secured into that material--the holes are also off.

does anyone sell any kind of tasteful mounting bracket? what am i doing wrong?

Reply to
Garsen

Did you install the ( plastic ) black front license plate bracket first? Or are you trying to just attach the plate directly to the depression in the front bumper?

The bolts for the license plate bracket go through the bumper fascia into the metal or aluminum support behind it.

Some fascia's have either Styrofoam, or rubber behind them, this holds the contour of the fascia and keeps it from being pushed in & dented. I'm not sure what material is behind yours.

Your Pontiac dealer no doubt has a jig board with the proper bolt hole pattern for the license plate bracket Typically 4 bolts hold it on. Then two screws hold the plate to the bracket.

Good Luck !

harryface ( Note : temporary address )

Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Slicknick

Reply to
Slicknick

thats why I could never live in california... they are such nazi's there. Theres no real good reason for forcing people to put in a front plate.

Reply to
Paradox

Regardless of the fact that I'd choose to live in Cali any day over this worthless desert we (me and PDX) call Arizona (which reminds me of Somalia).....

One good reason for front plates is that they can fall off in "hit and runs".

GW

Paradox wrote:

thats why I could never live in california... they are such nazi's there. Theres no real good reason for forcing people to put in a front plate.

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Do some Internet searches for arguments for and against front plates--interesting reading.

I got a ticket here in TX for not having a license plate on my front bumper (mine's in my windshield as I have no bumper mount, my car's on its last leg, and I'm not about to go out and buy a mount). Granted, this was on a military installation which must uphold the laws of the host state. I went into the security forces offices and made my case, referencing the TX motor vehicle code with its poorly-worded excuse for a front-license-plate mandate (again, check other states' codes for GOOD examples). I got the ticket waived, the law enforcement entities told me the guy who wrote the ticket was a "dork," and I had them sign the ticket saying I'd never be bothered about the plate again.

-- Chris

Chris McMartin

very good reason for it here which i also happen to disagree with: traffic light cameras. in truth that was a big reason i had left it off this whole time. i also think it looks stupid.

Reply to
Garsen

Those Red Light cameras also grab shots of the back plates too. They take 3 pictures, 1 of you at the light, 1 with the light color shown and you going through the red light and also 1 of the back plate.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid