98 Grand Prix GTP Electrical Mystery, and noisy fan

Hello all,

I drive a 1998 GTP (bought last year with only 29k on it, up to 70k now), and every once in a while (say...3 times in 10 months), I have had a really weird electrical problem:

-the Traction Control light comes on and stays on

-the ABS light comes on and stays on

-neither Traction Control or ABS work.

Additionally, "once in a while" (much more frequently, and often when my "low Fuel level" indicator comes on), I'll get an additional problem:

-Radio "powers off" momentarily, and the main display (showing open doors, etc.) flashes momentarily (basically like a circuit is being tripped)

Obviously there are some electrical issues with my car. What is strange is that they aren't permanent. Neither of them recur predictably, and in the case of the first (and obviously serious) issue, everything "just starts working" again after a few days.

Any thought on what I should start diagnosing? Any good sites where I can get info on these problems?

Additionally, my heater/blower fan makes an awful "chirping" noise (obviously rubbing on something) at low speeds. At higher fan speeds the sounds goes away, AND when I am accelerating (as opposed to braking or sitting still) the sounds goes away. Is this easily fixable?

I have purchased GM's aftermarket warranty, so if this type of stuff is "covered", let me know.

Thanks in advance for your replies (feel free to write me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com).

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Does the electrical trouble happen when it's raining or shortly after a carwash? It could be that it is actually tripping a circuit by getting wet. Just a thought....

Reply to
Ken Briscoe