'98 Pontiac Sunfire... strange grindand squelching sounds from engine on startup.

Hey, my 1998 Sunfire is pretty much all stock and I don't know much about the ins and outs of it, but recently since the cold weather has been acting up every time I start it up after about a day's of rest, there will some grinding noises coming from the (what I think) the engine, and sometimes they'll be consistent enough to start emitting very high-pitched squelch. Driving for a while seems to make it go away, and it seems to disappear entirely when I'm around town and it's parked and I start it up. Anyone have any ideas? Is this a common occurance or should I get it checked out? Thanks.

Reply to
Shinnokxz

Also, I suppose it's worth noting that I recently had it serviced and the oil changed (synthetic), and it was doing it before and it's still doing it after.

Reply to
Shinnokxz

since "serviced" is a 100% ambiguous term, no, that doesn't help. The first thing I do when diagnosing an engine noise, is to remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away. If it does, I spin all the accessory pulleys by hand and see if something feels wrong. After that the mechanic stethoscope comes out of by box. If this isn't stuff you can do, take the car in.

There is usually a very short time between noise and total failure. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Thanks for the reply; just 'feeling' my way about and was curious if this was at all something that as happened a lot to other Sunfires. I frequented the Toyota Pickup group back in the day, and just by some basic symptoms by the poster, some people were able to see it as all on-target for a failure that most Toyota Pickups suffer or have a tendency towards- thanks for the help though.

Reply to
Shinnokxz

At almost ten years old (we're in the 2007 model year), you are looking at problems that every car has, not just 1998 Sunfires. But that's a profession mechanic's opinion, not a 'net conspircist.

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Follow-up: Brought it in and apparently it's the water pump seizing up. People are charging $550 for parts and labor.

*inserts gun in mouth*
Reply to
Shinnokxz

My 2001 Sunfire needed a new water pump on Wednesday - $731 total - ouchie.

Reply to
Janl