'98 Transport "two-faced" A/C dillema - Please help!

My 98 transport blows outside air from the drivers side vents (even the Left side center vents) and then at the same time blows cold A/C air from the passenger side.

Here are the facts: The A/C switch is on. The interior cabin air filters are clean. The A/C is charged at the correct pressure. From what I can tell all of the vacuum lines are operational out of the cabin air selector switch.

It is like the outside air is being vented on the driver side and the A/C air is going to the passenger side. There is no abrupt explanation for this because it started this by itself. The only thing I can think of it that a piece of debris got into one of the flapper doors going to the driver side.

Is this possible and if so what has to happen in order to fix it?

Any help appreciated.

Reply to
Cybershooter

@#$%&*

You have an outside air vent that is not closing when on the recic. position either door stuck open or vacume line or stepper motor problem.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

Well as much as I appreciate good advice this was not the problem. However in the quest for finding the problem I did find a piece of foam insulation that was blocking the exchanger on the insode of the central fan unit.

Anyway, the AC compressor was to blame in this case. The compressor was only putting out enough cold air to supply the central vents and by the time the "cold" air reached the outboard vents the air had warmed up. I had to replece the compressor and evaporator to the tune of about $300.00 for all parts and then took the van into have it charged at the cost of about $60. The total job time was about 2 hours or less. Any GM dealer would have charged $2000.00+ do do this job and most likely would have replaced the whole AC system.

So in the nature of an accurate posting hopefully this help some other DIY'er save some bucks.

Reply to
dave