99 Sunfire GT Rear Brakes

Hi, I have a 99 Sunfire GT and I live in Germany. My car recently failed inspection for registration. The inspector said I had no e-brake or foot brake on the rear passenger tire. Now I am pretty proficient with disc brakes, but drum brakes I am ignorant on. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
clayton6870

What's your question? All Sunfires, just like almost every other car, DO have a parking brake on the rear wheels. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

More info would be helpful. But offhand... I can suggest a couple of things. I've seen the brake cable end that hooks onto the lever that applies the park brake.....break off. Obviously, this will leave you with no park brake. The other item that sometimes fails is the auto adjust feature in the park brake lever assembly.

You will probably need to start by pulling the rear drums off, have a look at the mechanism...see if it all works as it should. While you are in there, adjust the rear brake shoes properly. Often, the auto adjust feature on the brake shoes does not work as it should....so a manual adjustment is in order.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Ok, it's not a matter of IF I have a parking brake on the rear. I know there is one. The problem is that the inspector said that on the rear passenger tire that the e-brake and foot brake are not functioning (no e-brake or foot brake). He stated that the other 3 tires are fine. it's just the rear passenger wheel.

Lee

Geoff Welsh wrote:

Reply to
clayton6870

The shoes are either stuck, or are waaayy out of adjustment. Take both sides apart, and compare the working one to the non-working one. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh