!995 Grand Am

I have a 95 grand am, 2.3 quad 4, 137000 miles. I think my valve cover gasket is bad. Anyone had to have this replaced? How much did it cost? Is it better just to look for another car?

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

Also, it has body damage and a water leak... I would beleive it to be only worth about 800-1000 dollars at most.

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

If it's just a VC gasket leaking and you don't mind doing it yourself you might spend $15 fot the gasket and some permatex blue, and maybe an hour of your time. In a shop, way more, depending on the shop and the part markup. Look at the oil pressure sending unit too.

Reply to
FBR

This is a Quad 4 engine. A valve cover gasket replacement on these engines is a fairly complex operation. It really doesn't have a valve cover as is commonly seen on a pushrod engine. It has two camshaft housings that use a spaghetti type seal to seal the housing halves, and then a regular gasket to seal the housing to the cylinder head. Replacing either one of those items involves removing the timing chain and front cover before you can begin to remove the other components. I believe that the last one I did, cost the customer around the 8 hrs of labour mark.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Since my knowledge of this engine is limted to me just knowing how to change the oil. I am afraid to even do the spark plugs because i heard horror stories of the spark plug twisting off in the block I don't even do that. I will have to have a shop do it. If it costs me over 300 that is my limit on putting money into my car. After that i sell it for 1000 in the paper. and buy another car.

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

you all have been helpfull. I just decided to get a different car with less miles.

Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

Try re-torquing the fasteners first.

When you say water leak are you talking about coolant or rain water that gets inside?

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

It is rain water from outside getting in. I am actually selling it for 1000 obo because it has brand new tires worth about 200, and a stereo worth about

350.
Reply to
ADAM KRACKENBERGER

I have fixed two cars that were getting wet on the front passenger floor. Reply if you want details.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan