A/C failure, low presure, Grand Am 1996 2.4l

Hello everyone.

I have a 1996 Grand Am with a 2.4l engine. It has quite some miles on (134,000mi).

Since the weather starts to get nicer (spring is finally back!), I checked my I checked my air condition and found out that it doesn't work anymore. The compressor is still pumping, but no cold air is being produced. So I checked the pressure on the low-pressure side -- it was at 25 psi (I found out that about 45 psi is normal). So I put a large can of H134a freon in it. During the fillup, the pressure gauge went up (while shaking the can), but went back down to 25 psi when I was done. The A/C still doesn't work. I did not see any puddles under my car, so I assume the freon is in the system, but where? If there was a leak somewhere, wouldn't the preasure be down to zero if the leak was large enough to make the whole can of freon disappear?

Any ideas what I could try next?

Thanks.

P.S. For future readers of this note, if you ever try to find the low-pressure access point of the A/C system of a Grand Am (at least the one built in 1996), it is easily accessible from under the car. It is the knob with a blue cap located on the compressor.

Reply to
tobi.wan.kenobi

If the refrigerant is leaking to atmosphere, I don't think you'll see puddles under the car. It sounds as though you're definitely leaking freon from the A/C system. The whole system needs to be evacuated, drop tested under vacum, and then an asessment made from there for a resolution. Take it to a dealer. Freon is a dangerous gas to work with if you're not trained properly. Just my .02

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Ac low pressure should be around 15 -20 psi and on the high 150 psi and up depending on temp and fan operation. At off position high and low will read around 70 psi upwards depending on ambiant temp. If you do not have proper equip. recovery unit gauges and vacume pump don,t waste your time.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud