A couple of questions for you 3800/Bonneville experts

My high mileage '93 Bonnie is making a clunk when shifting from R to D. Looks and sounds like a motor-mount problem. I see what seems to be the one large mount/shock absorber to the left of the engine, and there does seem to be significant motion at this point; is this the one to suspect, and, if so, what is involved in fixing it? Are there other troublesome mounts I should be looking at?

Also, I have a cable mystery. There is a wiring bundle just below the washer fluid reservior; one of the cables coming out of this bundle is hanging loose (possibly due to the motion of the engine due to the above-desribed problem) but I can't figure out where it goes. It is a two-contact grey connector with a blue rubber surround, the wires are black and brown within the black plastic shield. It's not to the washer fluid sensor but is similar to that connector. Any clues?

Thanks

JGM

Reply to
JGM

Have someone put the car in gear and hold the brake peddle and gently give it a little gas. Watch how much your engine rocks back and look at that mount to see if its opening up. Usually it fails right where the rubber is glued to the steel plates. To fix it you would put your car on stands, use a jack and a block of wood and lift up slightly on your engine by the oil pan then start pulling that mount out.

I looked quickly at my 92 for that wire. Do you have headlight sprayers? There is another motor on that bottle if you do. Also if anyone has had your air box out, there is a sensor on the back of it. Make sure its plugged in. If you still cant find where it goes let me know and I'll look again.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

I would look at the air filter box, on the back for the IAT sensor. Then check the charcoal canister, then the PMV. Do you have an air compressor there? Check that too.

Reply to
Taz

I already did that; it's definitely moving too much. The only mount that I can really see in action is the upper one on the passenger side of the engine, which looks fairly straightforward to replace. The auto parts guy says there are two more on the other side (an upper and lower); I'll have to look for those in the daylight.

OK, But I'm wondering why the stands are necessary if I can get to the mount from above? Of course I would need them for a lower mount.

That was it, thanks to you and the other person who posted.

JGM

Reply to
JGM