ABS brake question

What is the difference between ABS system on Bonneville with traction control unit and ABS system on a Sunfire. Which model is more effective? My wife's Sunfire wheel would lock during hard braking test. You can feel the ABS is working but still the feedback is slow.

Reply to
newsgroup
4 channel on the bonnie
Reply to
steve kostur

Thanks for the info. If 4 channel means one channel for each wheel than what is 3 channel?

Reply to
newsgroup

Perhaps I should clarify myself. The bonnie has 4 hydraulic channel that means one control for each wheel, right? Sunfire has only 3 hydraulic channel. That means one channel must control two wheels either front or back wheel. So my question is.. which set of wheels share the common hydraulic channel on the Sunfire?

Reply to
newsgroup

Three channel means the front wheels are on their own separate hydraulic channel and the rear wheels are just controled by one channel for both tires.

Reply to
Dennis Smith

It depends on what year of Sunfire you are talking about. Later models have 4 channel ABS brake systems.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
newsgroup

You can tell....because I'm telling you that it does. Here is the basic system description right from the service manual.

General System Description This vehicle is equipped with the Delphi DBC 7 non-integral Antilock Brake System (ABS). The system employs two valves per channel, four channel system, to reduce the tendency of any wheel to lock-up. The purpose of the Delphi DBC 7 Antilock Brake System (ABS) is to minimize wheel slip during heavy braking. The Delphi DBC 7 performs this function by monitoring the speed of each wheel and controlling the brake fluid pressure to each wheel independently during a braking event. This allows the driver to retain directional stability and better steering capability.

The Enhanced Traction System (ETS) also monitors front wheel speed and compares the speed to the speed of the rear wheels. If excessive front wheel speed is detected in either front wheels, the ETS will be activated. The ETS uses the following to improve traction and vehicle stability:

a.. Timing control b.. Fuel control c.. Upshifting the transmission thereby reducing engine torque providing stability and traction.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

I have a 2000 Montana, ABS with traction control. Does anyone know what type of ABS it's equipped?

The way ABS works on the Montana is weird and it's very different than my

1994 Buick Regal ABS. I suppose it's better than the 94 since it's been 6 years after.

Thanks,

Simon

Reply to
Newbie