Antilock breaks grabbing and locking on wet loose surfaces

97 GA, A few months ago I put new pads on the front of my car but did not turn the rotors. The rears are drum. I now know I need to turn rotors because I am getting a bit of pulsating when I come to a stop, is this also causing the antilocks to grab on loose surfaces at slow speeds?
Reply to
Gabbo!

While watching news clips of the recent snow storm, I noticed that many of the cars were skidding with their wheels locked up. The cars were new enough that they should have ABS. I speculated that ABS must not work below certain a speed. Just speculation though, I do not know. Hopefully someone with knowledge will post.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

It sounds like you're refering to two different issues, I could be wrong though. I can't see any connection between rotors not being turned & anti-locks to grab on loose surfaces at slow speeds. If you have excessive run out in the front rotors, or out of round drums, then you may experience some pulsating in the brake pedal, but not the rapid pulses as when the anti-lock brakes are activated. The other thing is I don't know if the human eye can detect anti-lock brakes in operation while observing cars sliding. The "anti-lock" function of anti-lock brake systems applies brakes for a fraction of a second in rapid pulses (multiple pulses per second)

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

The wheels were locked-up. Poster "Bonneville" stated that ABS does not work below 10 MPH. If this is the case we are given bad instructions on using ABS. You know what I mean: "Stomp Stay Steer". It appears that they do not prevent locking at slower speeds on icy roads. In this situation we would be better off with the old way of skid control: take your foot brake regain steering brake again.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

It depends on the cars abs design. Some stop working at 10 some at 7 some at 6 etc etc. Tell me...Why do you need your abs working at 7mph? If you're still sliding at that speed abs or not, locked wheels or not, you wont be able to steer on that kind of surface because its to slick. If you dont know your car that well then I suggest finding an empty snow/ice covered parking lot and start learning your cars limitations.

Why is it everyone thinks that their cars should handle like James Bonds very fictional Aston Martin?

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

I don't agree with that. If you can get your wheels spinning again you will regain some steering ability.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan