Backspacing

How to fit the widest tire in the smallest space?

Anyone with an idea of what a '72 A-body Lemans back-spacing is and what offset of the rim?

I would like to get 17" under there...

Thanks!

Wm

Reply to
William

Jack it up and put jack stands under the diff and lower control arms so it is basically sitting at ride height Using a straight edge, measure to the fender lip and to the inside of the fender well. This will give you an idea of how wide of a tire you can run and the backspace you'll need. There is actually a tool for this I saw on HorsepowerTV but I can't find the link for it. These links might explain it better.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
FBR

Wow. Bookmarked both those links...

I guess those cars with the wheels sticking way out of the wells would be a prime example of negative offset, something I do NOT want. I think I seen the same episode of the HPTV you mentioned, were they working on a Chevelle/Camaro? If that is the one, they ended up with an 12" wide 17"tall tire up under there without rolling the lip... Now that is something I am looking forward to doing...

Right now as I speak, the car has 265/65/15 on it, with airshocks keeping the tires from being cut to shreds. Said tires come out of the wheelwell 2" +/- It was a cool look last century, but now...

This must change.

Wm

Reply to
William