Best Gasoline for 2003 Grand Prix GT

what octane/brand gasoline works the best with this great car?

Reply to
Wormwood

Flatulence works well!.

Reply to
Shitter

What the owners manual calls for (87 regular). Its not a high compression engine so dont let anyone tell you that higher octane fuel is cleaner or will make more power in that car.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville
87 octane ?

Whats the decal say by the filler neck?

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE, 3800 V6 _~_~_~_~276,100 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Markeau

Well, premium fuel typically has less sulfur and thus decreases oil decay, improving oil life. Also, at WOT, due to pumping losses, knock conditions arise and with a higher octane fuel the engine management will be able to keep a more aggressive spark timing.

However, is premium fuel necessary? No, unless your driving style (lead-foot) calls for better transient engine response. Otherwise, it's a waste of money.

Of course, being your money, go ahead and spend it as you see fit. FWIW, many stations in my area charge only an extra 10c for premium over regular...

Reply to
Neo

Agreed. It can actually can cause running problems in cooler climates... If it runs fine on 87, use 87. If you need to go to 89 (sometimes has less alcohol in some regions) do that. But usually the super is a waste of money.

Reply to
Joseph Roche

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

He makes no mention the reason his vette needs a higher octane gas is because his vette has a higher compression. That guy didnt do any research.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

ROTFL! His vette was a 79 and all L-48 (1975-1980) were ~8.5:1 compression and could use 87 octane.

Reply to
Markeau

Lol! I didnt even read that much of it, I just skipped to the octane=20 part.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Lol! I didnt even read that much of it, I just skipped to the octane part.

Well I should be ok then, I dont stick with one type of gasoline.

Reply to
Paradox

True in cold climates.

Not true for closed-loop engines.

Exactly. As I said, closed-loop engines often get most of the engine by using the most aggressive spark timing for a given condition in order to avoid ping and knock. In some of these conditions, using a higher octane gas allows the engine to use a timing for the spark that increases power slightly.

Yet, if one's main use is commuting bumper to bumper, I can't see why paying more for premium.

Reply to
Neo