Blown Engine Seals

I own a 1994 firefly. I recently had an oil change at a tire shop and a few days later found, to my horror, that I had no oil in the engine.I filled it back up again and drove it to a mechanic and he told me that the crank and cam seal were blown and the cause was too much oil in the engine.Long story short I took the car back and complained to the tire shop who did the oil change and they told me that too much oil in the engine would not cause the seals to go. So my question is...Who is right? Thanks for your help on this subject.

Reply to
Seonaidhi

Buddy that's a no brainer. Depending on how much overfull you sure as hell will blow seals.Tire shops do tires and even that they f up

Sal

Reply to
sal

That's ridiculous. The only thing that will BLOW a seal is a bad PCV valve. Overfilling the engine will cause things already leaking to leak more, like a crank seal, but not a cam seal.

and, btw to the OP. If you "filled it back up again and drove it to a mechanic and he told me that the crank and cam seal were blown and the cause was too much oil in the engine" that's because he was looking at how much YOU put in the engine. GW

sal wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh