Bonneville brake problem

Anyone know what to direct my mechanic to?

When it is extremely cold ( 15o F or below). my brake pedal becomes quite stiff. When I pull out of my garage in the morning, it is usually fine ( warmer!). I park at work and at the end of the day, I have my little brake problem. I start the the car, warm it up, put my foot on the brake ( the pedal works normally), put the car in reverse, let up on the brake pedal slightly, beginmoving backwards, push the brake pedal, and...the brake pedal does not go down. If I shove hard, I can slow and stop, but there sure can be a scary moment. After the car warms more, the pedal works normally.

I always remember this the first time cold weather hits us, and I have the experience. Once I have it, I change my driving behavior. By keeping my foot on the brake pedal while the car is initially warming up and in park, I can cause the brake pedal to function normally. It doesn't move( but I am sitting still!). Once I feel the brake pedal sink to the floor, I have normal brake function and I am good to go.

Only happens when cold or high wind chill...I forget about the problem when it warms up! However, it is time to rememdy the problem.

Bonneville is a '94 with 136,000 miles on it. Car will get passed to college age son in a year...needs to be safe!!! ( College age son now drives a '91 Astro with 360,000 miles on it...surely my Bonneville has lots of life left!

Is there a "Click and Clack" out there with an answer?

Barb Wells

Reply to
Barbara Wells

It sounds like you could have condensation (water) in the brake system. I'd recommend having a basic brake inspection to begin with to make sure the pads/shoes and all other hardware are all in good shape (free at most reputable shops). If that's the case, clearing the old fluid from the master cylinder, then bleeding the system to replace ALL the old fluid will remove any moisture from the system hopefully stopping your freeze up problem.

Good Luck

Reply to
FBR

Reply to