bonny sse 3.8 problem

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me with my problem. I have a 90 Bonneville

3.8 ltr with a separated crankshaft pulley damper. My question is, are all GM 3.8ltr pulley dampers the same, my local GM dealer wants $495.00 cdn for the part and so I was thinking of going to the wreckers and pulling one. Also if I find one does anybody have any tips for removeing the old one, i.e. does the bolt undo to the right or left, I think it's to the right, would I need an air impact tool to undo the damper bolt seeing as it has so much torque on the bolt and I have no way of stopping the damper from turning from the rear of the engine. Thanks for any help. Les Cox.
Reply to
Leslie Cox

$184.60 was the list price ( USA ) at the dealer for my 91 back in January of 2005.

You might get a better deal at an auto parts store.

A salvage yard may yeild one in good shape. Slip the serpentine belt off and put two hands on the harmonic balancer pulley and try to spin it or move it back & forth. It should have less then 1/16th of movement. Also inspect the rubber for cracks. Afterall your talking almost 16 years old. When my mchanic removed mine the bolt broke loose fairly easy for never being touched since it left the GM factory. I'm not sure about the right hand - left hand thread.

My harmonic balamcer broke loose on the driveway on New Years eve about

5 pm, so I was stranded for afew days at home

The yard should be able to help out with removal of the part if your unable to do so.

Good Luck

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 32,062 91 Bonneville LE 304,421
Reply to
Harry Face

Reply to
Shep

Reply to
Robert Barr

Look at this site&compare prices at other local auto parts stores while your at the auto parts store pick up a haynes manual it will tell you everything up to and including rebuild.

Reply to
bill302

Hi I'm just blown away by the fast help I got from a great bunch of guys here, my thanks to Harry, Shep, and Robert for the great info, I think I will take Robert's advise and go to Rock Auto for it. I just can't say enough good things about this newsgroup. Best Regards and thanks again. Les Cox.

90 Bonneville SSE 384,000 and still doesn't use any oil, great engine.

Reply to
Leslie Cox