Braking and Vibration on G6 GT

When I am driving at ~60 mph and brake (does not matter how hard or how soft) it starts shaking. The steering vibrates and I have to back off and brake again (almost like pumping non-abs brakes). The vibration is not the ABS coming into action so ABS is out of question.

I have done some research which makes me think it might be rotor warp or excessive heat. I tend to think it's not the heat as at times I brake and have no vibrations at all. most of the times I have noticed if I get off gas and immediately brake vibrations are almost always present. If I am off the gas for few seconds or more and then brake the vibrations are less apparent or not present at all.

I am going to take it to GM service station at my dealer (where I always go) but I wanted to run it by people here if anyone else is having same issue on their G6.

I appreciate ll help.

Reply to
googleguy

Googleguy,

I am hav> When I am driving at ~60 mph and brake (does not matter how hard or how

Reply to
Lone Star Driver

Sad to see warping rotor problems cropping up on the G6's too. This was a common problem on the Grand Am. I would presume they are (still) buying crap rotor castings from China, but that is just my $.02.

Reply to
hdd

Lonestar,

My problem is same as yours. It does not happen under 55 mph. Heat or warped rotors don't know.

I have appointment with dealer service shop so will know today.

Mine is not even 19K.... I am sure it won't wear out this soon based on my and my wife's driving style.

HDD, you my be correct. It should be covered by warranty if that is the case.

Thanks, Bhargav

Reply to
googleguy

Bhargav,

Everything I have read so far on the various G6 forums on the web indicates that it is warped front rotors and the dealer will resurface them but will not replace under standard GM warranty (

Reply to
Lone Star Driver

Mike,

Used to live in Houston - I'm curious which Pontiac dealer merged themselves out of existence (and who took it over).

Regards, Bill Bowen Sacramento, CA

"L>Bhargav,

Reply to
William H. Bowen

William,

The Champi> Mike,

Reply to
Lone Star Driver

Mike,

Your dad is right - the Demontrond family are good people. George Sr. was a great guy, and all the dealings I had with George Jr. where excellent as well.

Sorry to see Champion Pontiac/GMC go away - I bought my ex-wife a really nice Sunbird convertible from there about 20 years ago.

BTW, Demondtrond used to see DeLoreans back when they where making cars.

Regards, Bill

"L>William,

Reply to
William H. Bowen

Just to let everyone on this thread know.

I am very dissappointed by the brake issue on my car. I have some warping on the front rotors and also have a right front tire with seperating belts (OEM Uniroyal Tiger Paw SR Radials). I have the car in the dealership now getting the brake problem resolved ( I may even have to pay the labor or replacement cost for the rotors - man that's backing up your product) and will have to take the tire by an authorized Uniroyal dealer to get a pro-rated replacement for the defective tire. All this running around for a car under warranty with only 22,700 miles on it. I will give the keys back to GM in Nov. 2008 (that is when my buyer's choice option runs out). If the car has these kinds of problems in the first two years, I can't image what it will be like after 4 years when the flimsy warranty runs out. I realize brakes/tires are a maintenance item but they shouldn't have to be replaced before 35,000 miles of service. GM should choose thier parts vendors more carefully. No wonder they are in a world of hurt. Will I buy GM ever again? Never again for me unless something drastic is done with the company. Service and dependibilty are all that most consumers want for their hard-earned money but it is getting harder and harder to come by.

Mike Chapman

William H. Bowen wrote:

Reply to
Lone Star Driver

I for one will drive nothing with UniRoyal tires on it. I have had quite a few problems with Uniroyal tires. I had one uniroyal go bad after 200 miles on a 90 Thunderbird when it was new. before that I had same issues on Buicks and others.

the rotor problem sounds to me like the same issue ford had with T-Bird rotors. They are made of cheap parts and are under designed. GM has always tried to short change the customer by saving a penny on parts so that the executives can get their multi million dollar bonuses. Maybe your best bet is to put a sign on the car advertising that GM makes defective brake systems. I wonder how long it will take before they do something about it.

Reply to
L benn

Thanks all for replies.

I got my rotors resurfaced under warranty. That does not satisfy me completely though as not I have more problems showing up in the car.

Tires needs replacement as I am being told by dealership, right passanger window makes noise when lowered and the car shakes/vibrates at highway speeds (different issue than braking).

I agree with lone star that if this is the quality GM offers to their buyers, no wonder they have issues/will have issues selling their products and compete with those who are much more reliable.

I had other cars that run for 60K miles before any items need attention. Be it wear like tires and brakes or other issues with manufacturing and cheap parts. Even with 5 yr extended warranty I wonder how long with this car last before falling apart.

Thanks GM for giving me this piece of c _ _ p for my hard earned money. I am sure I will not use that lock and roll certificate anymore on my next purchase this year.

Googleguy.

Reply to
googleguy

Googleguy,

Glad to hear they resurfaced your rotors under warranty. I had to pay for mine to be resurfaced ($192). The dealer would not resurface them free of charge. They said that GM only guarantees the rotors for

12,000 miles and that is it. This p*sses ne off to no end. From what I hear the smaller front-wheel drive cars have thinner rotors to save weight (Higher gas mileage). I am still dissappointed by this car and GM's attention to detail on the quality and the parts they use/manufacture. The car rattles already at (~23,000 miles) and the Uniroyal tires installed from the factory are aweful. I have some uneven wear (not slipped belts as expected) on the front tires diagnosted by the tire place today even though I rotate, balance and check tire pressure religiously on the car. Now the tires thump while driving at freeway speeds. Ah the joy of owning a Pontiac.

I hope things improve or all US Auto makers will be owned by the foreign companies. Daimler-Benz has sure turned around Dodge/Chrysler. Maybe if GM merges with Renault/Nissan things will improve. Very sad that we need help from foreign business to get things right.

Starting the count-down to dumping this lemon on November 26, 2008.

Mike

googleguy wrote:

Reply to
Lone Star Driver

I am the "proud" owner of a 2005 G6, with 46,000 miles, also have the same problem with the brakes. The dealership replaced the front rotors at 21,000 do to the vibration problem, and now another 25,000 miles and the same problem, sounds like it is a general problem with this model year. Also, to make everyones day, i have started getting a load humming noise from the rear axle area, I thought it was the tires at first but my local mechanic thinks it could be a bearing problem........ i'll find out this week. I also regret buying this car. And GM wonders why they have lots full of cars ------ I-95 rider in CT

L> Googleguy,

Reply to
rick

I'm from canada I also have the braking problem it showed up at 17000 kilometers I had the routers replaces and the problem was still there so it is going back to the dealer next week. I think it is a problem with the brake pads they get hot and then pulsate it is rather annoying when your on the highway and have to slow down...

rick wrote:

Reply to
Scorpio