BROKEN DOOR LATCHES 1993 Grand Prix

I live in New Hampshire and the outside door latches on my 1993 Grand Prix usually stop working every winter during a deep freeze. I mean they not only stop working because of the cold, but they NEVER work afterwards, even months later when summer comes. The doors still open from the inside, but they cannot be opened using the latches on the outside. I have already shelled out over $600 to mechanics for both the passenger door latch and the driver side door latch. You know

- they charge by the hour.

A few weeks ago the driver side door went AGAIN (a mechanic supposedly replaced the entire door latch with a factory part ... supposedly... and did so almost exactly 1 year ago.)

I am definitely not going to pay some "professional" mechanic another $300 for this simple issue. Here are the reasons:

  1. The problem is not related to something sticking with the outside key mechanism.
  2. When I pull on the outside latch I see the metal finger/tumbler move on the door. This finger moves a little, but not enough to allow the door to open. This exact "finger" piece moves a lot more when I pull on the inside latch. This means the door latch is still connected all the way down to the locking mechanism on the inside of the door.

I want to get a blueprint of the door, take it apart myself and fix this little minor problem with this metal finger not moving down far enough to allow the door to open. I am not a mechanic myself, and friends and family are all warning me not to try it, fearing something will go hideously wrong.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed with this. I would also appreciate any pointers about where I can find blueprints for the door online (ie. download them without paying - I have already checked at local libraries) Thank you for your help!

Reply to
HMS Beagle

Do a Google search on Grand Prix, there should be web sites with 'how tos' that will show you how to remove the inner door panel. I have a

1995 Trans Am and use the direction on repacing the power window motor to get the panel off. If that does not work, go to E-Bay and shop around for the GM service manuals, you want the factory service manuals. If you can't find any there, just google for a dealer in automotive litature.

When your ready to pull the panel, roll the window up so its out of the way. Once the panel is off, all is there to see.

Reply to
brxsep