Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat?

Threaded View
I recently went to Jiffy Lube and had my oil changed and radiator
flushed. When I went out to get my car, they mentioned that they
thought my thermostat was bad and that I should get it replaced. I
hadn't noticed any problems with my temperature gauge. I will say that
I was way overdue for a flushing.

As I left Jiffy Lube, the thermostat went immediately up into the red
zone. A few blocks later it came down and didn't go up again (my drive
home was about 2 miles). Since this is the 4th of July holiday
weekend, I haven't been able to get into a mechanic to have it looked
at.

Could it be that my thermostat is now stuck open? Or shot? Could it be
something else? Will it hurt the car to drive it for a while to see
what happens?

mindi

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat?

The "dromes" at Jiffy lube LIKELY left an air bubble in the cooling
system, and noticed it got hot when they started it. If you are lucky
the bubble is now out and it will not overheat again. Drive it
locally, not farther from home than you are willing to walk, and see
if it stays down where it belongs. If so, one of 2 things has happened
- the bubble worked it's way out, or you have a "failsafe" thermostat
that is now stuck in the open (cold) position. If this is the case it
will take "forever" to warm up to normal now, and will need to be
replaced. If it still overheats, take it to a REAL mechanic - not a
Jiffy Ape - and get it tested and repaired properly.

For every dime you save going to Jiffy Lube it is virtually guaranteed
you will spend at LEAST another dollar due to their ineptitude.

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat?

Ineptitude or downright swindling!
I have ladies in my office who go to those places because they have "Ladies
Day" specials, but they end up getting COMPLETELY ripped off for things like
gas cap seal replacements, power steering fluid flushes, windshield washer
hose replacements, etc.
One lady had been only taking her car to a "quick lube" place since it was
new. After about 4 years she said that it was making some odd noises. She
had just had it serviced by them. I climbed under it and found that none of
the grease fittings had been greased for who knows HOW long!
Find a REAL mechanic and pay $25.00 for a properly done lube, oil, and
filter job without all of the un-needed wiper blade and PCV valve crap!

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat?

I'd never go to Jiffy Lube. :( Glad I never went. I have a mechanic that's
real good so I have him do all the oil changes and maintenance that I can't
do myself. One has to be careful of those. And any place that fixes cars and
has a "ladies" day or "seniors" day, I'd stay away from. Seems some like to
blatently advertise who they want to swindle. I think that's kind of
insulting. :(

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat?
NN said

I went to the three major "quicky" places in my area a few years ago.  None
of them lubed the chassis.  This is after I specifically told them to
insure it was lubed.

On the positive side, one note to BBB, and I got all my money back.  Each
time.  Free oil changes... 2 minutes to lube it myself.  Not so bad after
all?  ;-D

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat?

I forgot to mention that indicator for coolant does not go off. In
addition, I idled the car for 5 or 6 minutes and the temperature gauge
only went to half.

mindi

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat?

Mindi - the drones only did half a job - you had a bubble. Now that
the bubble is out the reservoir is low. You need to top it up with 50%
glycol. You can buy it ready mixed or buy full strength and mix half
and hald with water. Fill to the cold mark and drive the car. After it
warms up and cools off, check it and top it up again. Might be a good
idea to remove the cap WHEN COLD and fill the rad before filling the
reservoir to be sure it is not WAY too low.
The fact it went to half, but not over, indicates to me the thermostat
is just fine.

Or you can find a good mechanic, tell him your story, and pay him to
do it for you.
Find a good one, and stick with him. You might pay a bit more, but you
won't get ripped off.

Ask around and find out who your friends use and are happy with.
Ask questions when you go to the shop you think you want to use, and
ask for references - preferably owners of a car similar to yours (same
make/model) If you are not comfortable, walk away. There are, believe
it or not, at least as many decent shops as ripoff joints, but
substantially fewer exemplary shops. Worth their weight in GOLD.

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat?
A new thermostat is fairly cheap. Once your coolant is out it is 2 bolts and
a hose clamp (my car). If you get it flushed tell them they get $10 more to
do the thermostat, works with CarX

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- Thanks for replies
Thanks to everyone who replied to my message. I ended up going to my
dealership and they had a quick look. The radiator wasn't properly
bled when it was flushed and it was low on fluid. (One of you
mentioned that as a possible problem). Added a little more anti-freeze
and I was off and running.

Needless to say, I've written a letter to Jiffy Lube to let them know
of my dismay over the poor service.

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- Thanks for replies
mindi wrote

That won't help.  The best thing you can do
is stay far away from places like that.  Folks
need to either learn how to do the basic
maintenance stuff, or at least find someone
who is competent.  It's amazing how many
things which are not "rocket science" and
can be done "by anyone", turn out to be
things that can be screwed up by "everyone"
if you aren't careful.

Ian

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- Thanks for replies
mindi said

File an online report with the BBB.

http://bbb.com /

I did this, for lack of 'chassis lubing' with three major 'Jiffy Lube like
places' and got 100% refunds every time.

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- Thanks for replies
What vehicles did you have that there even _were_ lube points?
On the few times a week I get stuck doing an oil change, I find that
most every car I see, made in the last several years, has ZERO grease
fittings.
GW

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- Thanks for replies

Most GOOD replacement ball joints and tie rod ends have them - and if
a lub shop advertises a "lub and oil" the least they can do is LOOK
for the dang things. Anything that moves CAN have a fitting.

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- Thanks for replies
I agree that most passenger cars don't have fittings these days, but most
SUV's and trucks still do.
The place that does the oil changes on my F250 Super Duty 4x4 lets me stand
there with them as they lube everything, check the transfer case and
differential fluid levels, etc.
I was lucky to find them. They are an old time Shell station, and their
lube, Oil, and filter jobs on a standard car are right at $20.00.
Of course my Diesel is more because it takes 13 quarts of oil and the filter
is as big as a loaf of bread.
The best thing about them is that I can send my wife there and not have to
worry about them trying to scam her into new rubber brake lines, PCV valves,
Windshield washer hoses, etc.
It also probably helps that we drop them off a big tray of cookies and a
case of beer every Christmas!

like

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- Thanks for replies
Geoff Welsh said

95 S10.

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- Thanks for replies
Oh, a nine year old truck.
That's not the standard now days.
GW

Re: Can I drive my car w/bad thermostat? -- GW>.......
GW.

It must be one of hose pre- 1992 cars with all the grease fittings.

LOL

=========
Harryface
=========