Car randomly won’t start! Please help!!

Hi, I?m new here, I?m trying to figure out a problem with my car, I?ve only had it a few weeks.

Its a 92 pontiac le-mans, its been having trouble starting but its not consistent. The first time it happened, I drove it to school it started a little hard, but it went. I left school (about 7 hours later) and drove maybe 5 minutes away to store. I was in the store maybe 15 minutes, came out and the car would not start. It turns over fine but will not start. I tried everything and about an hour later it started. This has since happened a couple times and it always starts a few hours later. I have replaced the plugs and wires. I have a few ideas (crankshaft sensor, ignition coil , or fuel pump) however you?d think you might notice problems when its running, but its only when starting the car.

Any suggestions, I?m a poor university student so I?m hoping to diagnose the problem so I don?t spend a fortune at a shop...

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
AFireInside

"AFireInside" wrote: > Hi, I'm new to this forum, I'm trying to figure out a problem > with my car, I've only had it a few weeks. > > Its a 92 pontiac le-mans, its been having trouble starting but > its not consistent. The first time it happened, I drove it to > school it started a little hard, but it went. I left school > (about 7 hours later) and drove maybe 5 minutes away to store. > I was in the store maybe 15 minutes, came out and the car > would not start. It turns over fine but will not start. I > tried everything and about an hour later it started. This has > since happened a couple times and it always starts a few hours > later. I have replaced the plugs and wires. I have a few ideas > (crankshaft sensor, ignition coil , or fuel pump) however > you'd think you might notice problems when its running, but > its only when starting the car. > > Any suggestions, I'm a poor university student so I'm hoping > to diagnose the problem so I don't spend a fortune at a > shop... > > Thanks a lot!

I?d go with the fuel pump idea. It?ll be fairly simple to diagnose and repair. Don?t forget the fuel filter.

Reply to
bonne

"bonne" wrote: > I'd go with the fuel pump idea. It'll be fairly simple to > diagnose and repair. Don't forget the fuel filter.

I?m beginning to think its not the fuel pump though. It doesn?t seem to be a fuel problem. There are absolutely no prpblems while driving the car, once it starts it runs perfectly. I?m leaning more towards the ignition coil at this point.. If anyone out there has experienced a problem similar to mine maybe you could give some suggestions....

Reply to
AFireInside

My husbands 97 Sunfire was doing the same thing and it was the fuel=20 pump.

--=20

Cheers!

Jan

Reply to
Jan

"Jan11" wrote: > In article > , > snipped-for-privacy@AutoForumz.com says... > > "bonne" wrote: >  > > I'd go with the fuel pump idea. It'll be fairly > simple to >  > > diagnose and repair. Don't forget the fuel filter. > > > > I?m beginning to think its not the fuel pump though. It > doesn?t seem > > to be a fuel problem. There are absolutely no prpblems while > driving > > the car, once it starts it runs perfectly. I?m leaning more > towards > > the ignition coil at this point.. If anyone out there has > experienced > > a problem similar to mine maybe you could give some > suggestions.... > > > My husbands 97 Sunfire was doing the same thing and it was the > fuel > pump. > -- > > Cheers! > > Jan

Thanks, I?ll find out soon enough I suppose. I changed the ignition coil, I?m not sure it solved the problem. Won?t know until it doesn?t start again I suppose....

I hope its not the fuel pump as I"m not the most knowledgeable about cars, and imagine it cost a little to get fixed.. ugh..

Thanks a lot!

Reply to
AFireInside

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

robert -wanda fox

could be the computer. I had a 88 truck do the exact same thing. Dealer worked on it for 2 hours and found nothing. When I went to drive it off the lot it wouldn't start. That's when they found a flaky computer.

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:>

tj

>  >> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). > Report abuse: > >

Well I changed the ignition coil and so far it has happened again, been over a week now, used to happen ever couple days. So far so good, but I?m still cautious and waiting for it to happen again..

However now after sitting for a day the car is difficult to start, it always starts after a couple minutes of trying, but it seems like there is no fuel in the system after sitting for a day or two, and it needs to get back in the system. I?m thinking that my fuel pump may be getting ready to go. Or somehow fuel is leaking out of the system or something I don?t really know...

Thanks for the replies everyone I greatly appreciate it.

Reply to
AFireInside

"AFireInside" wrote: > Well I changed the ignition coil and so far it has happened > again, been over a week now, used to happen ever couple days. > So far so good, but I'm still cautious and waiting for it to > happen again.. > > However now after sitting for a day the car is difficult to > start, it always starts after a couple minutes of trying, but > it seems like there is no fuel in the system after sitting for > a day or two, and it needs to get back in the system. I'm > thinking that my fuel pump may be getting ready to go. Or > somehow fuel is leaking out of the system or something I don't > really know... > > Thanks for the replies everyone I greatly appreciate it.

Dammnit .. I happened again today.. Its been sitting for a couple days. Turns over great, just won?t start. Since we?ve redone the ignition, its getting good spark, so I have to think its a fuel problem... (Filter, or pump)... Possilby still a crankshaft sensor too I suppose.... ugh...

Reply to
AFireInside