Check engine...

My somewhat newly aquired '97 Pontiac Sunfire GT's "check engine" light recently came on. I pulled over and checked under the hood. The fluids were OK, and the engine sounded fine, so I continued to drive the car.

On my next stop to purchase gas, which was the same day, but approximately

70 miles later, I found the gas cap unscrewed and just sitting on the neck of the filler. Would this trigger the "check engine" light? I know it triggers the light on my Chrysler vehicles, but the light goes off as soon as you correct the problem and restart the vehicle.

A friend of mine with a Cavalier told me that the gas cap issue will cause the light to come on, but that I need to take the car into a repair shop to have the light reset. She said it cost her $35.00. I'm hoping this is my problem, although I hope I can reset the light myself without having to pay someone to do it for me.

BTW, it's a manual transmission...

Any thoughts/advice/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

Shep

approximately

Thanks Shep!

Reply to
Brigitte

Yep, the light went off today. Thanks again!

approximately

Reply to
Brigitte