Choosing a Grand Prix... Recommendations and thoughts appreciated.

So I've found 2 Grand Prix's available locally. They are:

2002 Grand Prix GT coupe Loaded, including leather interior (heated seats), power sunroof. All it's missing from the GTP is the supercharger, HUD, and digitial DIC. 170,000 km

1997 Grand Prix GTP sedan Loaded, same as above. But it's got the HUD and digital DIC.

125,000 km Front end paint is showing some chips, but no rust (yet). Seats are showing some age as well.

The GTP is $2000 cheaper than the GT, and the GT is really pushing my budget. Actually, it's about 20% over my budget. The GTP is more comfortable, money wise.

I've seen the pre-sales checklist on the GT, and they are replacing the oil pan and gasket (???), as well as repairing the intake manifold. For the GTP, I'd have to get it inspected, and go from there.

The GT is nice, but it takes a bit of a step beyond my budget. But it's 5 years newer, and nicely equipped. It also takes regular gas, instead of premium, which is about 10% more expensive here. Most of my driving (90%) is on a freeway (80 to 100 km/hour, 35 km each way, have made it end to end without stopping once). I like enough power to be comfortable, but I don't worry about racing or blowing the doors off the car next to me.

If it wasn't for the extra km's on the GT and the budgetary constraints, I think I'd jump on that one with both feet. But I'm also concerned about the age of the GTP and the paint chips (on both the hood and the front quarter-panels). The GTP sedan also fits into my lifestyle a bit better, as I've got two kids that would occassionally muddying up the back seat. However, they're only 8 and 6, so they're still pretty nimble. :) And our other vehicle is a mini-van, so if we need more space, we've got other options. My current commuter vehicle is a 1988 Jeep Comanche, so anything is a big step up. :)

Anyway, your thoughts are appreciated. Which one you'd choose, and perhaps why, if you've got time.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

go with the 97 and tell them to fix the paint chips or you want another 1000 off. The 45,000 km would convince me. It sounds like you need the extra bucks anyways and given that you are trading a 19 year old car in on it, it sounds like you will probably keep either one for a few years at least. The HUD and DIC would not be a consideration for me. Seats can always be covered with some seat covers from NAPA or something.

Since both had a sunroof and the kids are young you will have no issues with either car for at least 8 years as far as leg room is concerned. Either way after 5 or 6 years both will be worth about the same.

Reply to
Les Benn

Thanks for the input. How do you "fix" the paint chips, besides re-painting the affected body parts?

Clint

Reply to
Clint

just repaint the affected area is the only correct way to do it. If that means they have to paint the whole car so be it. But the 97 is still the better buy I think given your needs and finances. Maybe the best bet is ask for 1500 off the car because you will have to repaint it all and then find a good paint shop that you trust to do the work. In my town one paint shop guarantees their work forever or until you sell the car whichever comes first.

Reply to
Les Benn