Cigarette lighter not working...

I recently purchased a 1997 Pontiac Sunfire GT. So far the car has been great, except for one little problem. I'm not a smoker, but I'd like to be able to keep my cell phone charger available when I have forgotten to charge it in the house.

I've checked the fuse, and it's OK. I've checked the "lighter" with the cell phone charger, and still no joy.

Any idea what I should check next? How difficult would it be to get behind the console area to take a look in there?

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

Can we assume that the actual cigarette lighter also does not work when you push it in?

Can you look down inside the lighter socket and see any corrosion on the center contact?

Some of those phone adapters do not fit real well in the lighter socket. Perhaps you can wiggle/jiggle it to ensure it's seated firmly.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Yes, the actual cigarette lighter does not work when I push it in.

I didn't notice any corrosion when I looked into the socket, but I'll check specifically for it tomorrow.

It seemed to be in the socket tightly, and I did wiggle it around to make sure it was making contact and it didn't work.

Thanks for your reply. Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

to remove it, pull up on the rubber piece in the cup holder and you'll find a bolt, remove it and you can remove that same piece with the cigarette lighter, test to see if there is any power going to it, if there is, you need to replace the socket, if there isn't power, you have to find out where the problem is coming from, chances are its the socket though

Reply to
M.C. Tee

Thanks! I'll check it out. I hope you're right, that it's just the socket.

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

Check to see that the wire didn't pull off the socket. On my Bonneville the wire going to the socket is a an L - shape connector that presses over a threaded stud on the bottom of the lighter socket.

It sometimes comes from off opening & closing the ashtray door, especially if a cluster of wire harnesses behind the dashboard catch on the lighter wire.

Good Luck.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 30,031 91 Bonneville LE 304,173
Reply to
Harry Face

Thanks! I hope to check it out on Tuesday.

Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte