Cleaning Fuel Pressure Regulator

A stupid question probably, but is it possible to clean a fuel pressure regulator on a '99 GrandAm? If so, how would one do it? Mechanic replaced a fuel injector, and according to GM [I made him contact them after we started having problems, and he was stalling] if one is not careful when reconnecting the fuel rail, debris can cause the regulator to malfunction, and it either has to be cleaned or replaced.

Our FORMER trusted mechanic said this would be another problem. BBB is being notified.

Reply to
sarge

Is the guy working in a junkyard with dirt everywhere, and no proper tools? I can't see getting "debris" into a fuel rail. I have also not heard of cleaning a pressure regulator. Even if you poured sand into a fuel rail, your main problem would be all the injectors would be ruined. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

This is what puzzles us....he has a good garage area, is an experienced mechanic with years behind him. We are wondering if he is trying to make more money off of us.

In your opinion, what could have caused the car to have an intermittent hard starting problem after he replaced the fuel injector [#3]?

At this point, I don't know if to believe him about contacting GM. We have had mechanics who either delibertly or accidently causing other problems to create business. This guy now insists he fixed the original problem, and this is a new ballgame. It has been years since I have been physically able to work on my cars.

I did report him to the BBB just to get a black mark on his record. I appreciate your comments.

Reply to
sarge

That's great to slander someone when you have no clue what you are talking about. I am sorry your car has problems but it doesn't mean the guy broke it. Do you own a home? If the plumber fixes the sink and next week the toilet breakes is that HIS fault too? It puzzle me how people who know nothing blame people who do know things. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I didn't mean to slander the guy....actually we are frustrated...we returned to him for help. He did retrace the repair steps and found that bolts wasn't tightened, electrical connections were not properly fit.

He wanted us to leave the car until it showed the symptoms...my wife went to start the car and it acted the way we described it, he didn't even take the time to look under the hood.

He even admitted to me over the phone that GM told him that it was caused by some debris getting into the pressure regulator when he either removed or reattached to the fuel rail....he admitted he accidently did it, this is not domino component failure. Then the next day he turned around and wanted us to pay for his actions....we were willing to meet him halfway..

No, we have been patient, hey, my wife even baked cookies to carry to the shop everytime we carried the car up there. I've worked with electrical and electronic systems, but I've been willing to accept responsibility for my actions.

Reply to
sarge

My Cadillac Mechanic friend has never heard of cleaning a Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Good Luck

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~297,525 miles_~_~_

~~~The Former Fleet ~~~

Harry Face

Thanks to all for the input....we'll take the car to the local Pontiac dealer

Reply to
sarge