clunking noise from 1999 Pontiac Sunfire

When I apply the brakes, I hear a clunking noise from under the dash, in the night time I noticed that the lights will dim as well when the noise starts. Is this an ABS problem or could it be the master cylinder?

Reply to
KaNo

Like... one "clunk" each time you push the pedal or "clunk - clunk - clunk" as long as you hold the pedal down?

Reply to
David Courtney

Yeah, its a clunk, clunk, cluck until I either stop or release the pedal. Any thoughts as to what it might be?

Reply to
KaNo

Ok, so I took the fuses out for the ABS and the noise stopped - so now that I have narrowed down where the problem is, how do I figure out exactly what it is and how do I begin to fix it?

Reply to
KaNo

I'm not a GM-trained mechanic and don't work on too much ABS stuff, but I would start the "dumb" stuff like making sure there's enough brake fluid in the reservoir and check for fluid leaks. The ABS system is supposed to "self-test" the control and the ABS module every time you start the car. If the red "Brake" light or the amber "ABS" light aren't staying on, then the computer thinks the electronic systems are working and there's probably something "mechanical" either loose, broken, or leaking?

Reply to
David Courtney

There is plenty of fluid in the reservoir, no leaks, the brake or the ABS warning light hasn't come on....I guess its time to take the car for a check up! It does sound like something may be loose though, hopefully it won't cost too much to fix. Thanks for the help!

Reply to
KaNo