code 45 for 1989 Pontiac Tempest

Hi, Can anyone please help me with this situation... I have a 1989 Pontiac Tempest that has been running roughly at times for the past couple of months. The problem is that it doesn't happen all the time, it just seems to happen on longer rides (over 30 mins)... I have replaced the O2 sensor and solenoid in the past couple of weeks and it seemed to be working better but just yesterday while taking a drive, the engine light came on and it didn't go off (like all the rest of the times) so this led me to believe that the part is finally gone... When I retreived the codes it read Code 45 - Rich Exhaust indicated.....

To give everyone a better explanation as to what happens... The car seems to work perfectly for a while and then at inopportune times, the engine light comes on and I lose most (not all) power as well as the speedometer... She seems to buck but I can press on the gas and she would sometimes come out of it... Can someone please help

Reply to
maccer

A bucking accompanied by a righ exhaust is most likely an ignition misfire. Spark plugs, plug wires, coils, and ignition module are all suspect. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh