Code Readers

I'm thinking of buying this code reader for my 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix

"INNOVA® 3123 For most GM domestic cars & trucks from 1982 to 1995. Safely accesses ECM and ABS codes - codes are flashed on the "Check Engine" or "ABS" lights."

  1. Does it look good enough to work?

  1. Does anyone know where the ECM socket is on a 91 Grand Prix? The manual (which you can download for free) for this reader says "somewhere under the dashboard" but is not very specific.

Reply to
John Bailo

You can also read them by buying a box of paper-clips.

This message was written on 100% recycled spam. SAM >>

Samuel Warren

Thanks for the tip -- I Googled it and found this:

"The Quick Paper Clip Test Since we are looking at the connector pins, it should be mentioned here that a quick method to see which trouble code or codes are being set in your cars ECM is to jumper the A and B pins of the 12 pin ALDL OBD1 connector with a paper clip. While the car is off, sitting still, turn the ignition key forward while this jumper is in place. Do not start the car. The Service Engine Soon ( SES ) light will flash in a repeating sequence, telling which trouble codes have been set in the ECM. A service manual for your year car will have a chart outlining what each trouble code stands for, or this Trouble Code website can be of help. This paper clip method will tell you the trouble code or codes set in your ECM, but it will not tell you what conditions the trouble code is being set under, or let you clear the trouble codes on the fly, as the ALDL cable and PC setup will."

John Bailo

No ABS codes.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Well, a single paperclip will suffice. Don't know about a whole box.

Reply to
Mike