Coolant flush (Dex-cool)

I have done many coolant flush on family cars including my own every 3 years. Now my car have Dex-cool that require to be service every 3-5 years. It is time for me to replace my Dex-cool. I have a few questions and wondering if someone from this newsgroup could help me here.

1/ can I just drain Dex-cool from the bottom of my rad disconnect my bottom rad hose and flush it with clean water? 2/ reconnect the rad hoses and replace thermostat 3/ a bot of water left in the rad, do I have to wait for its to dry out before replacing new dex-cool? 4/ Dexcool come pre-mix and no water should be added with this coolant right?
Reply to
Paul

That probably will not get all of the old coolant from the block. Pull the block drains, then flush with clean water until it runs clear.

Is there something wrong with the thermostat that you're replacing it?

No.

Haven't seen premixed Dexcool (though it may exist). You'd be best advised to use undiluted Dexcool, add at least half of what the cooling system capacity is, then top off with distilled water. That is the only sure way to get the correct 50/50 mix.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

Reply to
Paul

It seems to me that the bigger grocery stores sell plastic jugs of distilled water for use in clothes irons. At least they do in my area.

Reply to
Silver Surfer

Glad to help.

if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Then you should trade the car in on a new one.

You can't buy distilled water at the grocery or hardware store?

You will not get the old coolant out of the engine block unless you pull the block drains out. Anything less is half-assed.

Reply to
aarcuda69062