Cooling Fan Will Not Turn On

Hi all.

I have a car that is overheating and for some reason the cooling fan is not turning on. I have replaced the fan's motor, the relays and the temperature sensor but it still will not turn on. I have a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am, 4 cylinder. Before all this happened I got the low coolant or that engine light that says it is too hot. Tonight, I replaced the the temperature sensor and when I went for a drive it still was starting to go hot and I got the Service Engine Soon indicator light. Is there something else that I need to replace on this car? I am not leaking any fluids here that I can see. I don't have a lot of money either so what else is needed here? My car is pretty much my livelihood so it is hard to live without it.

Reply to
Cat Protector

The engine fan from what I understand of the GMs of that age is that it'll have an engine fan controlled by your ECM. Check your computer wiring and report back.

If all else fails run a 12V line from your battery to the fan and put a simple switch on it. :-P

Nick.

temperature

Reply to
Nick Trounson

It could be a blown headgasket ... those damn 4 bangers were prone to it.

Reply to
clevere

Where would I find the headgasket on my car?

Reply to
Cat Protector

It's under the head :P Do you have milky colored oil? Does the exhaust have foggie looking air coming out of it?

Reply to
clevere

I do not know. I never looked to see if I had smoky exhaust or not. I took it into the mechanic today. I think this thing might be electrical because of the way it is acting after we put those parts in.

Reply to
Cat Protector