Cruise Control Question

Are there any kits available to install cruise control on a Carburetted engine without using the speedo cable. It is jittery even with a new cable, new transmission cog and lubricating the whole shooting match including the speedo assembly. This is on a 78 Grand Lemans.

TM

Reply to
TM

Question: How would such a device know what speed your car is going? I can think of a few methods but they would not work if dirty, raining, snowing, etc.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

I put one on a car a few years back. I think I bought it from JC Whitney (are they still in business?) It connected to the negative terminal on the coil and got it's engine speed from that. Worked great.

Reply to
Steve K

Probably should have mentioned it controlled engine speed, not vehicle speed. On my manual transmission car I could set the cruise at 55 in

5th gear, then shift to fourth, re-engage the cruise, and it would plug along at the same engine RPM but closer to 45 MPH. To me that was a feature, not a draw back.
Reply to
Steve K

Steve K,

There's a JC Whitney off Interstae 80 around LaSalle, Illinois.

Harryface

05 Park Avenue, 34,145 91 Bonneville LE 305,767
Reply to
Harry Face