Damn...2000 GP GT stalling

A little help please.... My 2000 Grand Prix GT (3.8L non-super charged) just today started acting up. It will idle just fine, and then suddenly start missing, the rpm's drop, and then the engine either stalls, or just before it stalls the engine revs up to about 2000rpm and then smooths out to a nice idle again. Then it starts doing it all over again.

When it dies, it starts right back up again without a problem. I've tried it with the engine warm and cold and it doesn't make a difference.

When driving from a stop, it hesitates and either stalls or drives normal.

The car first started doing this today, my wife let me know when she got home, so I took it out and it ran fine, then she took it out and it stalled. I tried it again and it hesitated from a stop and bucked. I gave it full throttle and it lacked power and then took off like normal. On the next stop start, I nailed the throttle again and the car took off great. On the next one, it bucked again. I parked it and let it idle, and all was fine for a few minutes, and then the rpm's dropped and the car stalled.

Anyone here have an idea what it might be? I'm taking it in next week, but I'd like a heads up on what it could be.

Thanks Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

Could be anything but most likely a sensor or the like. Anywhere from $100-300...does the check engine light come on? Take it to Autozone and have them run a check on it. its free.

Reply to
tony kujawa

I forgot to mention, no check engine light, no trouble lights at all. I'd take it to Autozone, but there is no Autozone anywhere near me. (i'm in Canada)

I've made an appointment at a dealer. They're going to charge $50-100 to diagnose it. Of course, when I started it up today, there was no real problem with it, other than a slight stumble when I give it a shot of gas. I'm going to take it around the block and see what happens.

There must be some law of nature that your car has a problem until you make an appointment to bring it in.

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

Check the air filter by chance? Anyway my 2000 GT threw no codes when the trans started bucking at 60K but it turned out to be just a sensor and not the trans. You really can't do anything with newer cars but take them to a garage that can scan them. you will end up chasing your tail trying to replace parts and end up spending more $ than just going to someone with a scanner.

Reply to
tony kujawa

I did check the air filter. While the car was running and trying to stall, I opened the air box and let it run for a few moments with no filter. No change. I'm starting to wonder if it's a coil pack on it's way out. I guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm bringing the car in today.

The last dealer I brought my car in to told me I needed thousands of dollars in work to my ABS and Traction control, and then tried to sell me a new car.

As it turned out, all I needed was a new Abs sensor/hub assembly. Needless to say, I don't go to that dealer anymore.

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

Reply to
Jim Northey

After the dealer screwed around for an hour and couldn't reproduce the problem they called me and said they couldn't find anything wrong. I told them to let it idle until it starts acting up. They called back 10 minutes later and said it stalled and it's the MAF sensor.

A few dollars shy of $600!! and I'm back on the road.

Jay S

Reply to
Jay S

Reply to