Diagnostic Scanner Options?

I have a '98 GM product that recently displayed the "check engine" light. On my older GM I just used jumpers to get a code. Now I'm told that one needs a diagnostic scanner to extract the codes (= hundreds of dollars).

Is there a clone of the OBD-II tester or some cheaper alternative?

I recall that there used to even be a harness and cheap software to hook up to your laptop to give one information. Does it still exist?

thanks in advance

Pete snipped-for-privacy@ncf.ca

Reply to
Peter Smith

You could go to AutoZone and have them use their scanner on it. I know what you're talking about with the OBD II laptop thing, I'm pretty sure that they still produce them but I'm not sure where you can get one.

Reply to
Phillip Schmid

Saw a few options on ebay. One called "Creader", for instance. Anyone have any experience with such a unit?

Reply to
Peter Smith

Check

There are other similar units so I'm not saying this one is the best. Records basic engine parameters, trouble codes (you can clear them if wanted) and interfaces with a laptop. I'd like an option to use with a pda but don't think this one does.

Reply to
DonW

Reply to
tom davin

Well, I just got my AutoXray EzScan pro today - expensive little sucker, but now I can scan the old Chrysler (1988 aldl system) the 94 Poncho (OBD1) and the daughter's 98 Neon (OBD11)- and not only reset codes and read codes, but actually read the sensors and compare the readings to what they SHOULD be. Cost me $325 US plus shipping ($28) and taxes/collection fee, but if it saves replacing a couple of $200 sensors trying to pin down a problem, it's worth it.

Reply to
clare