Did I get ripped off?

The wife's 98 grand prix gt started making some strange noises in the rear when the brakes where applied and at times after they were released. Took it to a local TireKingdom that I've done business with in the past and found out the rear calipers were seized up ruining both rear rotors. I had a complete brake job around 4 years ago and the calipers were rebuilt at that time. In that 4 years she probably didn't put 10,000 miles on the car. Apparently this has been going on for some time, I just failed to head her complaints. Anyways, the bill was $700 and change, both calipers and rotors were replaced along with the shoes. Fix has a 24 month warranty. Anyone think the charge was excessive? I've done many a brake job in the past and know the work involved but then again my labor comes in at $0 per hour. Thanks

Reply to
Norm B

Isn't it a little late to be asking about prices? You should have done that research when you got the estimate. If you look at the estimate and agree to the charges....it's hard to see how you can complain. If so, don't go back to that place again (why anyone would get their brakes done at a tire shop is beyond me)

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Nicholas Wittebol

This year of W-body does not have any particular problem with the rear disc brakes that I'm aware of, and I've been working on them for years. You may be thinking of the late 80's/early 90's w-body cars that had all sorts of rear disc brake problems. That was a different design.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Reply to
Nicholas Wittebol

"" wrote: > The wife's 98 grand prix gt started making some strange noises > in the rear > when the brakes where applied and at times after they were > released. Took > it to a local TireKingdom that I've done business with in the > past and found > out the rear calipers were seized up ruining both rear rotors. > I had a > complete brake job around 4 years ago and the calipers were > rebuilt at that > time. In that 4 years she probably didn't put 10,000 miles on > the car. > Apparently this has been going on for some time, I just failed > to head her > complaints. Anyways, the bill was $700 and change, both > calipers and rotors > were replaced along with the shoes. Fix has a 24 month > warranty. > Anyone think the charge was excessive? I've done many a brake > job in the > past and know the work involved but then again my labor comes > in at $0 per > hour. > Thanks

$700???? They musta used solid gold........But then too prices vary from state to state and depends on the mechanic.About 70% of repair garages charge list price which means if they buy a part for $20 they sell it to you for $40ish or more.

Reply to
Shakes73

[...]

yup thats gm , and by the mileage done on your car for 4 years that contributes to why the calipers seized up.Here is a few things to do so this doesnt happen again (remove and grease the slider pins when you remove the calipers every 6 months) also if ever you change any rotor front or rear get crossdrilled and slotted rotors.Pay the extra

50 bucks and you?ll last twice to three times as long with them trust me .
Reply to
liquidplasma