Do I need new Shocks or Bushings or Whaat?

97 Pontiac GA 3.1 V6 with 130k+ miles. The car rides nice, tight and smooth until I hit a square edged rut in the road then it hits with a bang in the front. This car is running Eibach coil springs and Gabriel Struts. Struts are about 30 or 40k miles old. I get no excessive bounce. The car will bottom out when hitting a deep bump which is expected with the eibach spring but I can't explain the bang I get when hitting those sharp square edge bumps. Do I need new struts, if so what brand is recommended?
Reply to
Barney Rebel

I can't tell you for sure about the banging, but I can tell you this. I will never, ever put Gabriel (Carquest uses the same) struts on a car again. I had problems with my 94 Grand Prix after I replaced the struts. I even took them back and got my money back, only to get a set at Carquest, which I didn't know were the same make. The car rode like a truck and they were supposed to be the soft ride. I went and bought Monroe struts and it was like night and day. Live and learn.

Reply to
bill