Does 2001 TA have bleed valves?

I recently (2 weeks ago) trade-in my 95 Camaro for 2001 Trans Am (V8, manual) and decided to replace coolant. Well, mechanic did it but we didn?t find any BLEED VALVES. He said probably this engine does it by itself - but now I?m starting to wonder if that?s true. Also , instead of Dex-cool coolant (as manufacturer says to only use dex-cool) he put some other one which was I believe full strength Prestone coolant. Car was running fine (temp was above 210 thou- around 220-225) but recently it was going to 235 and was barely dropping down or not at all. I figured maybe it was because of that coolant. So I decided to replace it with Dex-cool by myself (I?ve done that before on my camaro). BUT - I can?t seem to do it right.

He?s what?s happening: I filled the radiator with new coolant. Let engine run for few minutes, fans kick in and I see of course the level inside the radiator go up and start to overflow- so I put on the pressure cap on. I check the gauge and notice that gradually temperature goes above

210. 220.... till 235 and I just turn off the engine. Once I let it run till the CHECK GUAGE light came up (as it was going close to RED line). I wait a minute or 2 than open cap slowly- I can hear that air coming out but it sounds as if it was going thru the coolant (hear bubbles sound). Also as I do that - my recovery tank overflows and coolant starts coming out of it. First- is that normal? So I add more coolant to the radiator (as the levels go down a bit) and then start the car. Run it for about 3-4 minutes till the engine starts overheating again. And the whole process repeats.

So are there bleed valves in 2001 Trans Ams or not? If not how do I properly flash my radiator then? It seems to be an easy task yet- it?s blowing up in my face. It is so fricken frustrated- already having an issue with the car while still having temp dealer plates in my rear window. Agrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Maxbass

Snipped for space

Another

twit who probably hasn't hit Google or thelibrary before asking a silly question.

Reply to
FBR

Most good knowledgeable mechanics use an vacume air bleed system to fix problem.The new vehicles are extremely hard to remove air from cooling system. Snap-On and Mac have these tools not cheap but they work well . Good luck.

Rey

Reply to
Reynaud

Take it to a mech/tech. You lack a basic understanding of physics. And you have contaminated the system.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Reynaud- thanks for your input. I guess I?m going to have to take it to the dealer to have it looked at and not some local shop.

To USER- how did I contaminate my system. What caused it and what?s causing it to overheat? explain.

Reply to
Maxbass

"Maxbass" wrote: > Reynaud- thanks for your input. I guess I'm going to have to > take it to the dealer to have it looked at and not some local > shop. > > To USER- how did I contaminate my system. What caused it and > what's causing it to overheat? explain.

wow, it was just thermostat ... . Replaced it and everything is fine now.

Reply to
Maxbass