Drum brakes question

Like every other American car built in 1962, my Tempest has 4 wheel drum brakes. I've been working on them for the first time, and I see that there isn't a lever to "self adjust" the brakes. This appears to be normal - I've got the shop manual and the parts manual, and no separate adjuster lever is shown in either of them.

So, I guess my question is: when were self-adjusting drum brakes invented? I know my 1969 Cutlass had them, but my 1962 Tempest does not.

Erik

Reply to
Erik Y. Adams