EGR problems need Help

I've got a 1988 Pontiac Sunbird 2.0 tbi,it set a 32 code awhile back.So I replaced the EGR valve,couldn't find the orginal egr valve these fit a lot of different models,you have to put a different offrice washer in them, 16 with numbers on them, in the bottom of it,so I installed the correct one.The car ran fine untill crusing speed then it starts buck jumping.Sitting still with foot on gas pedal it sputters.So I disconnect the egr hose,plug it at throttle base plate,now it runs fine.any one that can help me I would greatly appreciate it!Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

AC Delco part number 214-5573, still available.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

They're worth about $110.

Reply to
Erness Wild

You got the # right for sure,But where is the Egr # 214-5573 located for me to order?I found a site but it says unavailable in my area.Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Rock Auto shows 4 available under Delphi part number EG10106

Reply to
aarcuda69062

That's amazing how in the world did you find that?I look on that site earlier and didn't find it,and it looks to be the right one,because it's got the offrice protruding out the bottom.I'm gonna order it today!Thanks so much! I've also had no luck in finding a Prom for my ecm

1227748 ALWK for the sunbird...I've searched about everywhere.No luck on ebay either!Thanks again!You've been a great help! Bobby
Reply to
bobby swift

You're very welcome.

39 years as a mechanic, ya learn a thing or two...

The 1227748 supersedes to a 88999170

IFAIC, any 1227 series ECM is a time bomb.

Your broadcast code ALWK PROM is part number 16086125

2.0 liter, non turbo, three speed automatic trans.

if you go to and

build your car from the drop down menus and then choose "computer box engine", you'll find a listing of junkyards across the country that have that ECM in stock, then sort thru which will sell it with the PROM you need.

But I gotta ask, are you getting a hard code that indicates that the PROM needs replacing?

Reply to
aarcuda69062

It's not setting any codes at the moment...but what happened was,the wife brought it home one night and the engine lite was steady on,radiator cooling fan was steady running,with switch on,steady missing and spuddering.I couldn't retrive any codes.So I found a junk yard computer,changed the prom,and it ran fine.But ever since I had the car it would only run on 93 octane gas.The car started storing 32#codes about every mile.So I just wanted to get a ALWK prom,so I would have an extra in case I need one later.Hopefully once I get the egr I ordered from rock auto,it will run like it should on regular gas.I'm gonna go throug that site you sent and see if I can get the ecm with the right Prom.I noticed one site on there in my area,so i'll give them a call.Thanks yuo have been a great help! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

The EGR valve from Rockauto solved the problem.I took the one and the 2 bags of washers back to Napa,it was the second one,the first one was open,so I thought it was bad...Had no luck finding a ecm prom yet.I did find a new Delco 88999170 on ebay for $50,I'm gonna bid on.You've been a great help and I appreciate it,Thanks! Bobby

Reply to
bobby swift

Happy to help.

Reply to