Engine Help!

I started my car in the freezing weather and let it run for about 20 minutes. I went to do something so I shut it off, and now it wont start at all. I have a Pontiac Grand Prix SE with a 3100 engine. When I go to start it the key just turns it doesnt make any sound or anything. All the electronics work in the car though, like the lights radio and everything else. And it doesnt even make a sound comming from the starter. Does anyone have any ideas what this may be? Thanks.

Reply to
spidert3

Is it in park? Sounds like either a starter, starter switch, or neutral Safety switch.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Probably a bad connection some where. My 3.1 had an intermittent no start for many years. When I went to replace the starter I saw that the cables were corroded. I cleaned them with very fine sand paper, put it back together with the original starter. It cranked faster than ever and has not failed in the four years since.

Some of these cars had problems with the neutral safety switch. Try shifting out and in of park several times and try to start again.

Reply to
Scott Buchanan

My Grandparents have a Chevy Lumina (also with the 3100 engine) which does the same thing. If you leave it for a few minutes, it will always start up fine. I have yet to figure out what the problem is, but it does get quite annoying. This car only has around 66,000 KM's on it, so there should not be too much wrong with it. I am looking all over for information as to how to fix it, and should I find the solution I will post it here. I ask that you do the same. :)

Reply to
80Knight

Could be the fuel pump resistor. I believe there is a recall on Grand Prix's between '97 & '99. HTH

Reply to
Darren MacKenzie

You wouldn't have auto-starter installed on your car would you?

> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:> >

newsgroup

The '97 Lumina I was talking about does have a Viper remote starter system installed, but we have tried turning it off with it's little under the dash switch with no luck. Any suggestions?

Reply to
80 Knight

Try starting in neutral (bypassing the neutral safety switch). Also try locking then unlocking the car (to reset alarm). Then try restarting. Also check your starter may be frozen. The engine runs in very cold weather for 20 min, but hardly enough at idle to get hot. The starter could get mildly warm, condensate then freeze. I've seen that one before up here (Canada). Good Luck.........

Reply to
Wally

I have tried to start it in Neutral, with no luck but I never thought of locking then unlocking the car with the remote. Thanks for the advise!!

Reply to
80 Knight

Thanks for all ur replys, i finally got fed up and took it to a shop, and it was something to do with a safety sensor or something like that, it was broken.

Reply to
spidert3

Can you give me more detail on what the problem was and what fixed it? My car hasn't acted up lately so I haven't been able to try the last person's advise, but I would like to know what fixed yours, if you remember, just in case.

Reply to
80 Knight

I took it to the shop and they replaced the theft deterent module.

Reply to
spidert3

I will check into that. Thanks.

Reply to