Engine Noise Part 2

A few weeks ago, I was on here with my 1988 Pontiac 6000 (2.5 with

125,000 miles approximately) having engine noises. Most of you seemed to think it is probably the rockers, but we said we weren't worried about it because it only happened the day it was 5 degrees (F). Well, it has done it two more times since then, and both days were in the 30s or 40s (F). It only did it when I gave it a little bit of gas. (I did not rev the engine and I did not try either as I was afraid that might cause damage with the noise.) It also was fine after the engine warmed up. Then another time, I didn't hear the motor noise, but when I gave it a little bit of gas, it ran for a few seconds, then just suddenly died. When I restarted it, it turned over like crap. Also, when I start the car, it acts like I'm not letting it turn over long enough even though I am - it's done this before but it's getting to be more frequent. The latest time it did the 'rocker' noise was today, and at the same time I gave it a little bit of gas when I heard the noise, the engine missed really bad too as if it were going to die. I didn't, but I bet if I would have given it more gas, it probably would have died. Up until the past month, we almost have always used 10W40 oil in the car. Now we're using 5W30. Would this have anything to do with it? Secondly, I was told last time to put some marvel mystery oil in the car just before I get the oil changed and drive it for 50 miles, then change the oil and put Bardahl 2 in it. Is this something I should try? I don't really need to change my oil since I changed it a month ago though unless the oil I am using is too thin and is harming the engine since I've used 10W40 most of the time.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Travis King

Use what the mfg recommends. If its been 5 degrees already you probably should have been using 5W30 all along. . It probably has nothing to do with your problem. At 125K its probably over due.

Once put a can of Valve Ease into a small block Chevy that wasn't running quite right. Before the last of the VE was in the engine it started ticking. Had to go get gaskets to adjust the valve train. The VE worked, kept from having to remove the intake manifold but didn't eliminate having to work on the engine entirely. IOW additives might work, might not or result may be unexpected.

Bought a van cheaply with a constant tick and ~120K on it, put another 20K+ on it before rebuilding it. Can't diagnose sounds over the internet though. Your problem seems more dire. Time to have someone more knowledgeable look at it. Check oil on dipstick daily until issue is resolved. If it starts looking milky coolant is getting in the oil and big damage is imminent. It may not be or just be a valve train issue. Good Luck.

Reply to
T Shadow

I told Dad about it for the first and second time. On the second time, he told me to check the oil because he's seen vehicles make a similar noise when the oil is low. It was full. For the oil being only a month old, it has gotten somewhat brown already although not black yet and is still mostly transparent. Antifreeze in the reservoir is still holding at full or very close to it. I had already switched over to 5W30 earlier in the week *before* it got down to 5 degrees because I looked at the forecast and saw the cold weather coming, so that's when I took it in to change the oil. Also, the valve cover gasket is leaking on this car. We replaced the gasket once as it blew, and then within a month, it blew again. We then siliconed it. A year later, it's leaking again and got past the silicon. It's not leaving any oil on the driveway, but it is on the engine. (The last time it blew it did leave oil on the driveway.)

Reply to
Travis King

This is often indicative of a bad PCV valve, GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh