Faulty left turn signal on a Grand am 1993

Hi,

My left turn signal won't flash on my Grand am 1993. When I put my turn signal, the light stays on but won't blink. The right turn signal works fine also the emergency hazard.

I saw that I have a left light that is burn ( in the back). Could this be the problem ? I think that usually when you have a burn light the flasher is supose to blink but fast... but not always stay on. When I checked for replace my back light that is burn, i found that I can't change the light bulb, but I have th change the hole socket that contains 2 bulbs ( strange !!)

unless the problem could be with the selenoid ??

Do you have a clue...

thanks...

Martin

Reply to
Mastermind

Turn sigs on American cars use the "heat the spring to break the connection" method. The more power the ciruit consumes, the faster it blinks. A burned out bulb would make it blink slower, or not blink at all. I don't know what you mean by "hole socket that contains 2 bulbs." I have the same car and I don't have to do that.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

When you say....won't blink at all.. for a burn bulb.... does the other lights get's on ( there are 2 bulbs that usually blinks for each side ( 4 bulbs total)

Sorry for my english... as it's not my first language.

When I say that the "socket contains 2 bulbs".. I mean... that I cannot only replace 1 bulb. I doesn't seem to get out.. unless that rust has made it's way.... but when I take out the bracket that holds my burn bulb.... there is

2 light bulbs on it...( for the hole left light) The 2 bulbs seem so be glued on a plastic bracket... I've never seen that on a car before... usually you can just take the bun lights out and replace it.

Reply to
Mastermind

Yes. If a bulb is burned out on the left side but not the right, the left will not blink but will stay on. The right side will blink normally.

I bet your English is better than what I can write in your first language.

Oh, I see what you mean. The book says the bulbs are 2057's but they are really 3057's. They unplug straight out - no twisting.

Here are some links to pics:

=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul =?x-user-defined?Q?=BB?=

Thanks.... it worked....

The problem was a burn flasher light. I replaced the 2 bulbs.... the were stuck inside by probably grease that dried over the years ( 11 years). That's why I thougt the were glued to the bracket.

I'm not use to that . on Japanese car, the light will burn, but you will never know until you look outside.. and the flasher still continue to flash.. even if the bulb is burn...... on a japanese car.. that problem would have probably been a selenoid.....

Thanks for the great response.... I really appreciate it...

Have a good week...

Reply to
Mastermind

I had this kind of problem years ago in a ford, and it was a wire shorting against the frame, the insulation had worn were it was rubbing against a sharp edge and when I turned the turn signal on it didn't blow a fuse or anything, it just lit up the light on the dash and didn't blink.

Reply to
john graesser

all the lights have to work, that is for sure the problem, get a new bulb and a screw driver, a 1157 or a 1034. thats easy

Reply to
GREASY DICK