Firebird overheating too quickly

I have a 91 firebird and when i start it the temp will go from 0 all the way to the red zone with no stop inbetween then in no less than 2 minutes my engine will overheat and the car will shut off on me if i'm driving it, if i have it sitting idle and it overheats it will stay on until i press on the gas then it automatically shuts off and also when i look at the engine i can see some smoke comming from it. I've heard many diff things that could be wrong with it but i want to be sure can anybody help?

Reply to
Dat_NC_HNIC

Sounds like it is out of oil.

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Do ya have water in it? If so then try changing the thermostat.

Reply to
redinpc

Sounds like you might need a mechanic.

Reply to